Seniors: Border Crossing Requirement Changes

Jan 26th, 2010 | By | Category: Senior Travel

Starting June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens returning home from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda, by land or sea, were required to present one of the travel documents listed below.

U.S. Passport:  This is an internationally recognized travel document that verifies a person’s identity and nationality. It is accepted for travel by air, land and sea.

U.S. Passport CardThis is a new, limited-use travel document that fits in your wallet and costs less than a U.S. Passport. It is only valid for travel by land and sea.

Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL):  Several states and Canadian provinces are issuing this driver’s license or identification document that denotes identity and citizenship. It is specifically designed for cross-border travel into the U.S. by land or sea. 

I recommend you identify the one you think will be most useful to you, and proceed to apply for it.  The links on each of the three locations above will get you the information you need to proceed with application(s).

I ran across a couple of additional articles that I think are useful…

  • Forbes has recently listed the ten friendliest countries in the world.  Where would you rate the US out of ten?
  • The U.S. offers some of the most diverse destinations in the world. These tourism websites provide ideas for your vacations, meetings, and more. Travel and Tourism Official State Sites can provide lots of information on each state including their tourism booklets.  I found that the Free Texas Travel Guide is one of the very best I have come across.  You can take a tour of Texas without leaving your seat.    jeb

Leave Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.